8/25/20 – Owner-Employees Defined
Last night, the SBA issued an interim rule relating to “owners” and the PPP. Below are the three main takeaways from the new guidance:
- A definition for “owner-employee” was finally provided. For PPP purposes only, an “owner-employee” is anyone who owns more than 5% of an S- or C-corporation.
- The amount of loan forgiveness requested for nonpayroll costs may not include any amount attributable to the operation of a tenant or sub-tenant of the PPP borrower.
- For example, If a borrower rents an office building for $10,000 per month and subleases a portion of the space to another business for $2,500 per month, then only $7,500 of the monthly rent expense is eligible for loan forgiveness.
- Rent payments to a related party are only eligible for forgiveness if they satisfy the following two criteria:
- the rent payment is less than the amount of mortgage interest owed on the property during the Covered Period and
- The lease and the mortgage were entered into prior to February 15, 2020.